Huge Changes in Canada Super Visa: Parent’s Residence is now easier for Canada Super Visa.

What’s the difference between the parent-grandparent super visa and a 10-year multiple-entry visitor visa?

With a super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for five years at a time.

A visitor visa only allows for a stay of up to 6 months at a time. If you wish to stay longer, you must apply for an extension and pay a new fee.

There are specific requirements that you must meet to get a super visa.

What is a super visa?

A super visa lets you visit your children or grandchildren for five years at a time. It’s a visa that provides multiple entries for a period of up to 10 years.

There are specific requirements for a super visa, including the need for health insurance. You must meet all the criteria to be eligible.

If you want to stay for 6 months or less, apply for a visitor visa.


To be eligible for a super visa, you must have a host who

  • Is your child or grandchild
  • Is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or registered Indian who must provide a copy of
    • The Canadian citizenship document of the host (and their spouse or common-law partner, if applicable) or
    • the permanent resident document of the host (and their spouse or common-law partner, if applicable) or
    • A Secure Certificate of Indian Status or Certificate of Indian Status (status card)
  • Is at least 18 years old and lives in Canada
  • Meets or exceeds the minimum necessary income
  • Signs a letter inviting you to Canada that includes
  • A promise of financial support for the duration of your visit
    • Your child or grandchild’s spouse or common-law partner can co-sign the letter if they are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
    • The list (including name and date of birth) and number of people included when you calculate your family size to determine the minimum necessary income

You must also

  • Be outside Canada when you submit your application for a super visa
  • Have your visa printed by a visa office outside Canada (wait for visa office instructions)
  • Be allowed to enter Canada
  • Take an immigration medical exam
  • Meet certain other conditions

You can’t include dependents in this application.

Health insurance

You must have proof of a health insurance policy from either

  • A Canadian insurance company
  • An insurance company outside Canada that is approved by the minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (more information will be available in the coming months

The health insurance policy should

  • Be valid for a minimum of 1 year from the date of entry
  • Be paid in full or in instalments with a deposit (quotes aren’t accepted)
  • Cover health care, hospitalization and repatriation
  • Provide a minimum of $100,000 of emergency coverage

As a super visa holder, you should have a valid health insurance policy while in Canada. If your health insurance will expire before you leave Canada, you may need to renew or maintain your health insurance during your stay. Private health insurance must be valid for each entry into Canada.

Be prepared to show your proof of paid insurance to a border services officer when you enter Canada.

Other conditions we consider

We consider several things before we decide if you can come to Canada. 

You must be a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of your visit.

When you apply, we’ll consider

  • Your ties to your home country
  • the purpose of your visit
  • your family and finances
  • the overall economic and political stability of your home country

Are you visa-exempt? You can still apply for a Super Visa.

If you don’t need a visitor visa to enter Canada, you can still get a super visa to stay in Canada for 5 years. If we approve your application, we’ll issue you a letter to give to a border services officer when you arrive in Canada.

If you travel by air, you may also need to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) separately to allow you to travel to and enter Canada. The eTA will be electronically linked to your passport, so you need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your eTA and any supporting documents for your super visa application.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *